PUBLIC ADVISORY – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(January 19, 2016) (Ottawa, ON) ― Be advised that the Government of Canada’s pre-inquiry consultation meetings are underway, and they are open to survivors, families, and loved ones of murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls, as well as representatives of front-line and Indigenous organizations.
This is your opportunity to be heard on the national level. To that end, NWAC urges everyone who is willing to participate to take part in these regional consultations to do so in-person or online.
As of January 19, 2016, here is a list of upcoming meetings:
- Thunder Bay, Ontario: January 6, 2016
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories: January 8, 2016
- Whitehorse, Yukon: January 11, 2016
- Vancouver, British Columbia: January 13, 2016
- Prince George, British Columbia: January 15, 2016
- Halifax, Nova Scotia: January 20, 2016
- Québec City, Québec: January 21, 2016
- Montréal, Québec: January 22, 2016
- Iqaluit, Nunavut: January 29, 2016
- Toronto, Ontario: February 5, 2016
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: February 8, 2016
- Regina, Saskatchewan: February 9, 2016
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: February 10, 2016
- Edmonton, Alberta: February 11, 2016
- Calgary, Alberta: February 12, 2016
- Ottawa, Ontario: February 15, 2016
If you are survivor, family member or loved one and would like to attend one of these meetings, you are asked to email AADNC.EFFAAD-IMMIWG.AANDC@aadnc-aandc.gc.ca or call toll-free at 1-877-535-7309.
NWAC continues to respectfully urge the Government of Canada to consult our organization, our sister organizations, and those with Indigenous lived experience every step of the way.
The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) is founded on the collective goal to enhance, promote, and foster the social, economic, cultural and political well-being of First Nations and Métis women within First Nation, Métis and Canadian societies. As a national organization representing Aboriginal women since 1974, NWAC’s mandate is to achieve equality for all Aboriginal women in Canada.
For more information or for media inquiries, please contact:
Jenn Jefferys – Communications Officer
Native Women’s Association of Canada
+1 613-722-3033 ext. 235 | email@example.com