REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
THE ABORIGINAL WOMEN’S BUSINESS ENTREPRENEURSHIP NETWORK MENTORS
The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC), through the Aboriginal Women’s Business Entrepreneurship Network (AWBEN) program invites interested and established women entrepreneurs to serve as a Mentor for Métis, Status and Non-Status women interested in starting their own business. Mentors will be selected from 6 regions across Canada.
The objectives of AWBEN are to:
- provide a safe, supportive, collaborative, empowering and culturally supportive environment that addresses the challenges of female Aboriginal entrepreneurs and those that aspire to become entrepreneurs
- enhance, develop and accelerate growth for current and aspiring female entrepreneurs in a sustainable way through programs and resources
- promote community leadership through volunteerism as a reflection of respect and reciprocity
SCOPE OF WORK
6 Mentors from different regions across Canada will offer guidance and support by sharing their experience and knowledge, act as a sounding board, help find appropriate resources, build confidence in women and help mentees focus on developing or growing their businesses. Mentors will have the ability to encourage all members to participate actively in the group and the skills to facilitate balanced sharing between group members.
The successful Mentors will:
- Collaborate with NWAC to recruit 10 Métis, Status and Non-Status women interested in starting their own business.
- Plan, organize and facilitate 10 (2.5 hour) sharing circle mentoring engagements where businesses will explore and test a social innovation/enterprise component. Entrepreneurs will learn an efficient process for testing their ideas, reducing risk and confirming/ denying market viability.
- Identify 2 women to be considered as a participant in a 4 day Boot Camp and a 1 day AWBEN conference at the end of February 2016.
- Mentors will be required to participate and facilitate a workshop at a 4 day Boot Camp for 12 Aboriginal women at the end of February 2016.
- Mentors will be required to participate and facilitate a workshop at a 1 day AWBEN Conference following the 4 day Boot Camp with 80 Aboriginal women.
- Provide an up to date Criminal Record Check.
This is a short term contract with the work will be completed from December 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016.
A preliminary budget for this project has been established. The total contract award is $8000 inclusive of GST.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Mentor with the Aboriginal Women’s Business Entrepreneurship Network. Proposals from applicants with Aboriginal ancestry are preferred however all applicants will be considered. Your contact information will be kept on file for future mentorship opportunities.
The proposals should be submitted electronically to:
Jane Luhtasaari, Economic Development Officer
Identify the following in the Subject Line: AWBEN Mentorship Proposal + Name of proponent
Proposals will be accepted until Friday November 27, 2015.
Please complete the following information and questions below:
Identify Your Top 3 Areas of Expertise:
Cashflow and/or budgeting, Marketing and/or Promotion, Networking, Organization and Administrative Skills, Sales Strategies & Tactics, Strategic Planning for Business Growth, Understanding Legal Documents, Understanding Financial Documents, Understanding Regulations, Satisfaction and Work/Life Balance, Other – please describe.
- Please provide a description of your business. (150 words or less)
- Have you been a business mentor previously? If so, please briefly describe how you supported your mentee(s) and what are the outcomes of your mentorship?
- Briefly describe 2 areas where you can mentor a mentee.
- Do you have a network of existing and aspiring entrepreneurs who are Aboriginal women? If so, please briefly describe. (150 words or less)
- Briefly identify what kind of business workshops you have facilitated. (150 words)
- For Statistical reasons, please identify if you are Aboriginal or Non-Aboriginal
- Please use this space to provide any additional information you would like included to help guide the selection of Mentors. (150 words or less)
Please attach copy of your current résumé or CV and Biography